Let me just start out by saying that I miss air conditioning more than anything in this entire world. Austen and I live in the blazing heat 24/7 and are forced to sleep half naked in our tee-tiny little twin beds.
Our madre, Marite, is very sweet, but speaks no English and has a really bad habit of moving our stuff around. Okay, just kidding, she straight up hides our stuff, she doesn't just move it around. When we leave and finally come back, nothing is left in its original place, therefore it's a wild goose hunt around the apartment to find the straightener, the computer charger, the adaptor, etc. She also speaks extremely fast, so I end up just standing there nodding my head and saying "si" and "baile" to fill the silence. Awkward. Finally, I think it is important to note that Marite's cell phone ringtone is Beyonce's "Single Ladies." Marite is a 70 year old widow. I am guaranteed to burst into a fit of giggles every time it rings. She has also added both Austen and myself on Facebook and Skype. Talk about keeping up with the times.
I have also come to the conclusion that before I arrived in Spain, I thought that I was a fairly good Spanish student. After one class period, it was made clear to me that I am, in fact, a terrible Spanish student and have no idea how to speak the Spanish language. Marite also had no qualms in reiterating this point. Thanks a lot, madre.
Although I do love Europe, I was sad to have missed the 4th back home in the States. Fortunately, there is a Fosters American Grill (yes, like Fosters in Raleigh) in the Plaza de la Reina and the whole group went there last night to celebrate Independence Day like a crowd of loud, excited, entirely too rambunctious college kids. We then proceeded to make the 20 minute trek to the beach to watch the "fireworks" (there were no fireworks) and the rest is history. Class at 8:30 this morning came entirely too early.
In the midst of having so much fun and for being gone for nearly a month now, I honestly forgot that I came here to go to school. Homework (this word is foreign to me) and a 7am (this time is foreign to me) wake up call are now calling my name.
peace. love. i am fully willing to admit I am an awful blogger.
No comments:
Post a Comment